Andretta Pottery came to be because a woman called Norah Richards came to live in Andretta (Himachal Pradesh), in the 1920's. She was a theatre lady and several artists visited her. Painter Sobha Singh moved here after partition; and Gurcharan Singh who started Delhi Blue Art Pottery would often visit Sobha Singh at Andretta. Norah Richards gave Gurcharan Singh some land and asked him to start a pottery. Keen to study the local pottery traditions he set up a small pottery, which he visited regularly.
In the early 1980's there existed merely 120 out of the 270 potter families in this area, that had been documented by Gurcharan Singh. His son Mansimran, and his wife Mary were also regular visitors to Andretta at this time. They were keen to get the local potters interested in pottery, to suit modern day demands, in an effort to stop the youngsters from leaving to look for jobs elsewhere. They established the Andretta Pottery and Craft Society in 1983, with a view to promoting and preserving the rich but dying crafts of the region. They taught the potters glaze technology and the art of slip decoration on terracotta. They taught them new forms more popular in contemporary homes. They promoted the craftsman by taking their wares to exhibitions and fairs all over the country. Nestling in the foothills of the Dhauladhar range in Himachal Pradesh, today Andretta Pottery is famous for its slip decorated, glazed terracotta. Presently Mansimran Singh also runs three month training courses and holds workshops at Andretta.
Andretta is about 540 kilometers from Delhi. By road the car journey takes 10 to 11 hours with a few stops on the way. There is an overnight bus as well. An overnight train goes to Pathankot from where it is a three-hour drive to Andretta. There is flight from Delhi to Gagal near Kangra, from here the taxi ride to Andretta, is about 2 hours